I’ve always known that the foods you put into your body effects everything; your mood, cognitive function, hormones and skin. But it never really dawned on me that what you put ON your skin is just as important. Our skin is in fact, the bodies largest organ. Its our biggest defensive player we have against the outside world. Even then, whatever you put on your skin gets absorbed into the bloodstream in 27 seconds!
So nasty cleaning chemicals, toxic perfumes, lotions full of all sorts of bad news are making their way into our bloodstream ultimately wreaking havoc on our hormones and health.
I started making the transition to the best quality, non toxin skin and beauty products last fall when my skin started to go cray. On day I looked at the back of my body lotion that I LOVED and saw it contained less then impressive ingredients and it went straight into the trash. Do your research! There are so many companies out there that spend a ton of money on fancy packaging that makes their product seem natural or organic but in all reality, most products still contains lead, aluminum, chromium, petroleum, etc.
The only way to be sure you know what goes into your lotion, or any beauty product, is if you make it yourself! Which is undeniably easy and this body butter only contains 4-5 safe and organic ingredients! You should be able to find raw shea butter and raw cocoa butter at any health food store; Huckleberries, Pilgrims, etc.
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup avocado oil
1/2 cup raw shea butter
1/2 raw cocoa butter
10-15 drops essential oil *optional
- Add coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter and avocado oil to a double boiler. A glass bowl on top of a pot of boiling water will also work if you don’t have a double boiler.
- Whisk until all ingredients are melted
- Take off heat until it is cool enough to put in the fridge. Store in the fridge until firm.
- With a hand mixer whisk the mixture until it becomes a ‘whipped’ consistency. Halfway through add in any essential oil of your liking.
- Store in a glass airtight mason jar. Best to keep in a cool dark place